Wednesday

Sticking WIth Guitars For The Moment

I'm planning on doing something ranty and rather long about guitarists and such, but I felt the need to comment on something regarding modern country music and country guitar players.

For most of my life, I have been an avowed country music hater, but over the last decade or so I have begun to appreciate the number of seriously talented musicians and singers who play shit kicker music and the list is long and prestigious.

Two of them have recently landed smack dab in the middle of my radar screen.

Brad Paisley and Keith Urban.

Both have had many hits and Keithy Boy is currently married to plastic-surgery-disaster-waiting-to-happen Nicole Kidman.

They each have reputations as stellar guitar players and there is a raging debate among some country fans as to who is better.

I figured I owed it to myself to check out their stuff and see if I could somehow find something that would help me decide for myself.

A extensive search of YouTube and iTunes has made one thing abundantly clear.

There is NO CONTEST....Brad Paisley is about 123,334 times better than Keith Urban.

Keith is known for playing a medley of classic rock tunes during his shows and my research has shown that if it were me standing on that stage with a guitar the audience would hear the exact same thing. In fact, my decidedly less attractive countenance might possibly lead to some boos.

On the other hand Brad Paisley is known for more traditional country style playing and his YouTube vignettes feature some of the fastest chicken pickin' and string bender action I have ever seen.

This guy is amazing and deserves to become a legend ala Hendrix or Clapton. I cannot praise him enough.


It seems that Pretty Boy Urban has a lot of teeny bopper fans who somehow think being handsome and playing some Aerosmith riffs makes you a guitar god.



So there.....I've settled it.

Not that you needed it settled.