Friday

I'm Hypermiling now.

Yeah.....I know you've probably never heard of it and if you have, what you've heard has most likely been negative. It seems to have been much more positively portrayed under its alternate name of Ecodriving.


Basically, Hypermiling (or Ecodriving) is the act of using simple driving techniques to maximize your gas mileage. The ultimate goal being to exceed your car's EPA estimated fuel economy by as wide a margin as possible.

I first became aware of the practice when reading an article in Mother Jones about Wayne Gerdes, the original and probably the most extreme hypermiler ever . He not only coined the term "Hypermiling" but has spun off numerous terms, acronyms, and abbreviations that have become the jargon of its fans. This led me to his site: www.cleanmpg.com and then to engaging in the practice myself. I am not as fanatical as some of the people you'll learn about if you follow the link, but I am definitely making progress.

Wayne started doing this not long after 9/11 with the idea of keeping as much money out of foreign oil merchants' hands as he possibly could. His rationale: Big oil led to big construction in Saudi Arabia and then to big money in the pockets of the Bin Laden family. This coupled with the reduction is greenhouse emissions are his main reasons for starting this movement.

Ok, sounds great on the surface, but I am more interested in big money in the pockets of Chris Canzoneri. You see...I am not green. I couldn't care less about Global Warming and do not pray at the alter of the New Environmentalist Church. The fact that I engage in many green behaviors is motivated solely by my desire to save money. Compact florescent light bulbs, new windows, attic sealer, programmable thermostat, etc. All done to put more of the other kind of green to better use. I admit that I don't let that stop me from advocating energy conservation and cleaner living for everyone, but the fact is if some whack-ass endangered species gets up in my face he's going down. Spotted Owl or no, you come in my territory, you're getting a cap popped in your feathery ass.

Just kidding.

I'd never shoot an animal because if the bullet were to pass through its body and land in protected wetlands the lead could seep into the ground water.


Anyhoo, I did want to comment on the whole Ecodriving vs. Hypermiling thing.

Hypermiling has been condemned by Triple A and most blogs and websites where it is mentioned include at least one or two comments about its danger and/or silliness.

Ecodriving, on the other hand, has actually been endorsed by the state of California and even has a super slick website developed by The Alliance of Automobile Manufactures. Check it out.

I can't help but think the connotations of the prefixes "Eco" and "Hyper" are part of the reason.

Lately, all things "Eco" are good. "Eco"-Tourism, "Eco"-Living, Umberto "Eco", the "Eco"nomy...ok scratch that last one.

In contrast, "Hyper" is almost never good unless you're going into "Hyper" space and for all we know that shit isn't even real.


"Eco" good.
"Hyper" bad.


From now on I am Ecomiling.